English Language Arts K-8
The ELA model for instruction is a classroom structure using a Reading and Writing Workshop approach to teach the PA Core Standards and the PA Academic Standards. This approach is designed to guarantee that all students have access to the general education curriculum and supports individualized learning. This model includes but not limited to: reading/writing independently every day, building background knowledge through non-fiction texts, teaching comprehension skills and strategies, interactive reading/writing as a means to support progress, integration of foundational skills/phonics, building stamina in both reading and writing, and word study and vocabulary acquisition.
Assessments are based on contact time with children through small guided reading/writing groups, conferring with individual students, and scaffolding materials to increase understanding and independent learners.
These structure are supported by a number of resources and on-going professional learning which include:
- Leveled Classroom Libraries
- Word Study-Words Their Way (Bear, Invernizzi, Templton, and Johnston)
- Framework for Reading/Writing Workshop (K-8)
- Components of Balanced Literacy
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Units of Study Online Teaching Resources for Remote Learning
- 2019-2020 Scope and Continuum for Grades K-5:
- K-5 PA State Standards: